when busy gets busiER

I survided week #4, but barely!
There was so much going on this week for me, I’m not sure how I managed, but I’m also not too happy. I just managed, didn’t excel (in my very critical mind, that is. I keep reminding myself that I have actually accomplished A LOT, but my brain likes to tell me it’s never enough). Anyway, done and dusted (!), here’s what I’ve been up to these last 7 days…

This Monday our job got a bit bigger than a ‘bouncy’ loop consisting of a dozen of frames.. Which was a good reminder (even maybe a gentle* reality slap..) that animation is effing hard work! Apart from consolidating some learnt concepts like the follow through, overlapping action and anticipation, we heard about smearing for the first time! Our task was to apply all of these techniques in a ‘jump, bounce and dive’ exercise.

I present you: the suicidal carrot!

although this looks simple it took 40 drawings to make. It was the first time I felt my patience being tested, but you just need to be very British and ‘keep calm and carry on’. Fortunately I managed to make it work (in my eyes!! Let’s just wait to see what Steve says tomorrow..) at the first try. There were some issues with the first jump of the carrot: size and movement, but I wasn’t too fussed because I wanted to redo it in TV Paint anyway..

So, along with those 40 drawings that I only started in the afternoon, I had a great conversation in the morning with Pedro Serrazina, about Portuguese animation.

I had to do a presentation on Wednesday about animation from my country, that happens to be Portugal, and although already a bit too late for the presentation, this talk was really useful. He gave me loads of references and names to research. I am hoping to finish writing an extended post on the subject in a very near future – watch this space/COMING SOON!

This week we’ve also had our first ‘monthly screening night’ on TuesdayOCTOBER
I think it was a success! We’re definitely repeating it next month (which happens to start next week – seriously 2016 you’re going a bit too fast!). If interested, you can see the shorts we screened here!

This week just whizzed through! I’ve had the usual 3 days of classes, organised a screening, did a presentation, freelanced on Wednesday night, worked 9 to 5 Thursday and Friday, 5 to midnight Saturday, catsitted Friday to Sunday and managed to waste my Friday evening redoing my suicidal carrot on TV Paint.

But even so, I had time to stress about my level of drawing (dear brain) and on Thursday the life drawing class felt like psychological torture. I ended up leaving early, I guess there’s some days you know you just can’t win.. And I am actually still stressing about my drawings**, but I guess I just need to ‘stay calm and carry on’ drawing and watching Prokopenko’s tutorials.

Oh Monday, you’re too near!

* I’m saying gentle because I’m foreseeing these reality slaps becoming more and more frequent, and stronger and stronger. I think we’re probably going for a big reality punch..!

** Along with not having read anything I was supposed to for my big post on Portuguese animation 🙁