right to say no – inspiration and research

Our final work for this year is to animate a 45-second short film! This is simultaneously exciting and overwhelming.

Working with The Children’s Society, we were given a voice over audio track to base our animation in. Their mission, as stated in their website is:

We fight child poverty and neglect, and help all children have a better chance in life.

The audio track I got is the testimony of a 15 year old girl that goes through an abusive relationship, and with the help of The Children’s Society services she learns that she has the right to say no – hence the title of the animation (see what I did there? ;p)

Right now we’re in the early stages of development: doing research, character studies, thinking about the storyboard and styleframes..

Because my story focuses on a teenage girl, the first visual reference I could think about was Rookie Magan independently run online magazine and book series founded in 2011 by Editor-in-Chief Tavi Gevinson. We publish writing, photography, and other forms of artwork by and for teenagers (and their cohorts of any age!)*

I also found some interesting references on it’s nice that, like this one and this other one.

Here’s a pinterest board where I am dumping all the images I like/find helpful.

I have already done a storyboard, but yesterday I saw my mentor and will definitely take her advice on board. So I need to rethink some bits of it to make it stronger.

Today we’ve shown a style frame to The Children’s Society people. here’s mine:

I am still not totally happy with the character but at least now I’ll (hopefully) have time to draw and develop her to a point where I’m satisfied. Expect some doodles coming soon 🙂

* http://www.rookiemag.com/us