right to say no – week 2

Week 3 of the Children’s Society just started today, we showed our rough, rough animatics to the class (and Shaun, Steve and Kevin..).
Let’s just get that quickly out the way, here’s mine:

ask me for the password if you’re curious enough to see it 😉

The animatic is the culmination of last week’s work. Here’s a quick sum-up of what I’ve done:

After showing the style frame to the Children’s society people on Tuesday* we had a tutorial session (mine was with Kevin) the day after, to talk about the storyboard. I think it went well, Kevin seemed pretty on board with my ideas and gave me some tips to think about the camera position and movement. From then until today it was a heck of a ride!

Nevertheless, I still had time to go to life drawing on Thursday evening and it felt great. I hadn’t been in ages and Vanessa took a look at my drawings and reminded me to think about the body’s structure, which helped me a lot. Here are some drawings from that session that you can marvel upon:

also, I’ve found biro pens to be my best drawing buddies <3

I’ve spent my free time from Tuesday to Friday trying to figure out how I’m going to draw the girl for my movie. She’s a teenager and if initially, I wanted to go all body positive and make her curvy, I’ve been a bit more attentive to school girls around my area (oh my, so creepy..) and they are all really skinny! One thing I’ve noticed as well is that teenagers are all disproportional, so I thought of playing with that. Long legs, short torso, long neck and small-ish head! Costume wise, I initially thought I would draw my character with jeans but I think the school uniform helps to identify “my” girl’s age, so skirt and socks it is!

My Friday night was spent colouring a small sequence of the film. I really like the hand drawn style and I thought it would look good in this film. Good thing I did that because I am not happy at all with the result. There’s too much wrinkling in the paper and too much flickering because of the watercolour…

I’m not sure if using a better, thicker paper would solve the issue or just make the end result really expensive.. so yay digital? 🙁 *meh*
This week will be spent redrawing and really thinking about the style for this animation – I want to be comfortable with whatever I end up choosing, and be sure as well that I can deliver on time with that style. So much to think about!!

* I wasn’t too happy with the outcome of this presentation, as Steve said I could’ve definitely benefited from having an extra, happier, style frame.. Hopefully, I’ll redeem myself next week when we’ll be showing our neater animatics to the Children’s Society people.